Hamilton Historic Main Street
What is Main Street?
The Texas Historical Commission (THC) designated Hamilton as an official Texas Main Street community in 2020. The Texas Main Street program is part of the Community Heritage Development Division of the THC, and focuses on the Four Point Approach of organization, economic development, design, and promotion with community volunteer support.
The Hamilton Historic Main Street program sees our downtown as an inviting destination for residents, businesses, and tourists, and we hope to preserve and enhance Hamilton’s historic architecture through the growth of small business in our commercial district.
We will utilize the Main Street Four Point Approach guidelines of Organization, Promotion, Design, and Economic Development to encourage the preservation of Hamilton’s small-town charm; and to promote patronage of our downtown businesses and attractions, and plan for the positive economic environment needed for entrepreneurial growth of small business in our community.
We want to hear from you! We need your input to guide our work plan to make visible improvements and help attract and sustain our town’s businesses. We have two types of surveys:
- Community Survey: for the entire community and available here.
- Stakeholders Survey: for property owners, business owners, and employees within the district who we will contact directly for their input.
Please see below a list of business strategies and resources that may be especially helpful during this time of the coronavirus pandemic:
- Hamilton Historic Main Street Business Strategy Ideas: A 3-page list of ideas that can help for short- and long-term goals.
- Texas Main Street COVID-19 Response Tips: Texas Main Street’s list of tips, resources, webinars, and grant opportunities.
- Main Street America COVID-19 Resources: This webpage provides helpful resources that include CDC, SBA, US Department of Labor, and US Chamber of Commerce information. In addition, there is a list of Funding & Business Support and Webinars that can assist local businesses.
- "Open for Business" Marketing Campaign: An idea to quickly help consumers learn how your business is adapting to this changing environment:
- Open Sign for Business Doors: PDF form businesses can fill out based on their situation and post on their doors.
- Open Sign for Facebook Profile Picture: JPG image businesses are free to use for their Facebook pages or other websites.
- Open Sign for Facebook Background Picture: PDF form businesses can fill out, save as a .jpg file, and post on their Facebook pages or other websites.
Tax Credits and Other Incentives
Although Hamilton does not yet have a district that is on the National Register of Historic Places, property owners can apply for individual recognition of their historic buildings and receive tax credits. Please see the links below for more information.
- Federal Rehabilitation Tax Credit Program
- Texas Historic Preservation Tax Credit Program
- Tax Credit Programs FAQs
- Request a Determination of Eligibility
- Historic Designations in Texas
Don’t forget about our local incentives too! Check out our Hamilton EDC main webpage for more: